Thursday, September 18, 2014

Baking a Cake in a Silicone Mold ~Recipe Wednesday on a Thursday

I did some inspirational baking yesterday and it came in the form of a chocolate cake! Now, I got this recipe from tasteofhome.com and it's a chocolate Dr. Pepper cake. I'm immensely excited because I've had a few cakes with soda in them, but I've never made one myself so I didn't know how it would end up. I made a few adjustments based on what I happened to have lying around today. In my experience, improvisation is one of the best ways to find new, delicious foods.

This is the list of ingredients from the website:

  • 1 package German chocolate cake mix, regular size
      1 package (3.4 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
      4 eggs
      1 can (12 ounces) Dr Pepper
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract


    Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/dr-pepper-cake#ixzz3Cl87IiMD


  • This is the list of ingredients with my replacements:

    • 1 package of Devils Food cake mix, regular size
    • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 can (12 ounces) Dr Pepper
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    They also suggested to put it into 3, 9 inch round baking pans, but I don't happen to have any round baking pans. All I have are a few silicon cake molds that are ABSOLUTELY adorable from Ikea. They are the Sockerkaka line of cake molds and you can find them right here! I have all three styles of molds that they have, but for this cake I decided to use the heart shaped one. 

    I followed the mixing directions exactly :
    • In a large bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in Dr Pepper and vanilla. 
    I then transferred it into the greased heart shaped silicon mold, all of it. I wasn't sure how this would turn out for me since the recipe recommended more cake pans, but the molds are actually quite tall, double the height of a normal cake pan so I had HOPED it wouldn't cook over the height of the pan as the batter only came to its midpoint. 

    As the oven was heating to its recommended 350°, the lovely maintenance people from my apartment came to replace my dishwasher. It took a while and I didn't put the cake in the whole time they were here.

    The cake ended up being so large I had to turn the oven down to 200° and cooked it for around an hour. Looking back I would have distributed it into different pans because having all the batter in the one cake mold was just too much.

    FINAL RESULT:


     I decided it needed a little bit of frosting, so I made a glaze with store-bought dark chocolate frosting, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds, spooned some into a bowl and added just a smidgen of Dr. Pepper. I poured the mixture all over the cake and bam! It was delicious!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment